This theme includes a built-in post slider to showcase featured articles. I would recommend perhaps creating a special (optional) blog category for “featured posts” and then when you choose the category for your slideshow, you can select that one. However, adding a slideshow to your front page can definitely add more for your site visitors to enjoy.
You have the option to prepare your slide images before uploading, but with this new slider we’ve added, your image will be cropped for you. However, the benefit of doing it yourself is to ensure you get the image cropped without losing something in the subject matter that you don’t want to lose.
Before cropping your photos, this new slider includes a setting in the customizer that gives you crop sizes:
- 2560×620 pixels
- 1920×620 pixels
- 1340×620 pixels
If you want to use the demo site’s slideshow as a guideline, I made the images all 1920×620 pixels. Once done, you can then add them as featured images to the posts you plan to showcase in the slider.
- Go to Appearance >> Customize >> Slider Options
- To show the slider, look for the “Show Slider” setting and check the box
- Choose the blog category where the slider will grab the posts and featured images from.
- Choose how many slides to show from 1 to 5.
- You can also show or hide both types of navigation. The Slider Pagination are the small centered dots found on the bottom of each slide and the Slider Navigation are left and right arrows that show when you hover over a slide:
- Next, you can customize the colours of the slide content that gets displayed on top of the slide. This will include things like the title, the intro, a read more button, and also the navigational elements:
- Click “Save & Publish“
NOTE: The more slides you load, the longer it will take to load your page…due to the image files.
Do You Have to Use this Slider?
I’ve been asked this a few times, but the easy answer is no. Feel free to use your favourite slider, whether it’s for posts or images, or even videos. The built-in slider for PostMagazine and the Premium version gives you a great starting point if you want to showcase posts. Remember that you can even create a “Featured” blog category and then set the slider to load posts only from that category.