A much-requested feature by many theme users who often ask “can I import the demo content into my site?” Seems to be a growing trend, but we can understand the reasoning behind it. It gives you the ability to see how the demo site was set up and then you can simply replace the existing content with your own.
- Content – Pages and Posts
- Widgets – No longer included and must be added separately (see below)
- Customizer Settings
When you first install this theme, you will see a notice at the top with plugin recommendations.
This is information is provided so that you will know what plugins the theme uses for the live demo but also gives some added features to the theme. Please note that you are not required to use these plugins, they are shown as recommended (although not endorsed) options to add to the theme, but they will be needed if you decide to use the demo content import.
- One Click Demo Import – This is the most important one because it gives you the demo import capability.
- Widget Options – This is a plugin giving a ton of widget options and settings; used on the live demo site to hide widget titles and to publish widgets to select pages. *We removed the widgets from the 1-click import because although it added widgets, it was not putting them where they belong because this part is related to another plugin called Widget Options. If you want the widgets imported, click on the button below to download the zip file (you will need to unzip this file before importing. Please refer to the Widget Options documentation on importing the widgets json file.
How to Use the 1-Click Demo Import Feature
There are a few things that you need to do before you actually click the button to import content…actually, you need a plugin to use this feature.
- After you install your theme and activated it, you should get the notice at the top that gives you a list of recommended plugins to install and activate. Again, this is optional, but it is part of the demo import process to ensure everything is as the live demo site displays. Out of the recommended plugins, the most important ones will be the One Click Demo Import, Widget Options.
- After you install the recommended plugins, make sure they are all activated
- Now go to Appearance >> Import Demo Data
- Read the Info and then when you are ready, click on the Import Button.
- After the import is done, you can check the front of your website to see how it looks.
Things That Could Go Wrong
As mentioned earlier, it’s not perfect because the demo import capability that many theme sites offer with their themes is based on third-party plugins and scripts, so importing may not be 100%. However, it does a pretty good job overall. However, there are some possibilities that certain things could go wrong.
- The import could time-out. If this happens, you will probably have to reinstall your WordPress with a clean database as it’s best to start from the beginning.
- The menu(s) might not show. Sometimes a menu might not be showing. Go to your menu screen in the editor and reset the menu to the menu location it was meant for.
- Some widgets might be lost from view. Go to your widgets screen in the Admin and see if there are any widgets that are in the “Inactive Widgets” section, and then drag them to the appropriate sidebar.
- Something might not be showing from the customizer. For example, a slider might not be showing. Check the slider settings in the customizer to see if it’s enabled or disabled.